Today we have a super recipe. Actually, I don’t cook that, is always my husband who cook the best vegan tortilla de patatas of the world.
As sure you know, the tortilla is cooked with egg. When I became vegan, I thought that never should eat again a tortilla like my father’s. But my husband surprised me again. Like when he cooks caneloni of brocoli. Or when he cooks fajitas. I fell in love with him for his fajitas! I love see when he cooks, he is very methodic. Slowly but surely.
But today, we have tortilla. To cook tortilla is easy, but you don’t have to have rush and you have to control the fire very well. The rest is very simple: fried potatos, onion, chickpea flour, water and a special salt.
If the first time you do not do well, please, try again. For a lot of Spanish people is difficult, don’t believe that you can’t do it. Actually, I always fry too much the potatos, for example. So please, try all the times that you need until you get happy with your tortilla!
As we said before, usually the tortilla is cooked with eggs. We don’t use eggs, we use chickpea flour. There are no-eggs, eggs replacer, a mix of chickpea flour or potato starch with some bicarbonate of sodium, curcuma and some vegetable gum. This is a good option because in the box they said how are the mesurements for make the replacement of every egg. But don’t worry! With chickpea flour is easy too!
We use a salt called Kala Namak. It is an Indian salt, with a strong sulfur flavour. This is the reason for use that salt, mimics very good the taste of the eggs, so it is not necessary use them. If you don’t have kala namak, you can use normal salt, it will be delicious too! The tortilla is always delicious!
Usually we eat it with some bread and tomato (very typical in Catalonia). It is a perfect dinner or the perfect sandwich, or the perfect lunch, or breakfast or whatever! We are super fan of tortillas!
Trick! This is the classical tortilla, but in Spain exists a lot of variants. You can add, almost, all what you want. For example, I love tortilla with onion (like this recipe) but with green pepper is awesome. Just add the green pepper in julienne when you are cooking the potatoes and the onion. Or is very popular with a mix of vegetables. Be creative! =)
Is very important the pan. One of the dangers of making a tortilla is that it will stick on the pan. You need a good pan, a nonstick skillet. A lot of Spanish houses have a pan just for the tortillas, they don’t cook nothing else in this pan. I am not saying that you have to buy a pan just for tortillas, but try to use a good one for cook them!
So… shall we try? =)
SPANISH POTATO TORTILLA
- 4 big potatoes
- 1 onion
- salt Kala Namak
- 30gr chickpea flour or 3 vegan eggs
- 105ml water
- cornstach (optional)
- olive oil
- Wash potatoes, peel and cut into pieces. Cut the onion into julienne.
- Put the potatoes in a pan with plenty of olive oil and cook them. When they are half done, incorporate the onion so that everything is done together. Cover the pan until it is done and remove from time to time carefully so that they do not stick.
- When it is done, turn off the fire and remove potatoes and onion with a skimmer to remove all possible oil. Put the oil of the pan aside.
- In a bowl, we put the 30gr of chickpea flour and 105ml of water. (10gr chickpea flour + 35ml water= 1 egg). Beat this mixture until you have a homogenous and frothy liquid. You have 3 vegan eggs! (Trick!: You can substitute 5gr of chickpea flour for cornstach. Not essential but helps with texture!). If you use no-eggs, please, follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Mix the potatoes,onion and the vegan eggs. Be careful, don’t smash the potatoes! This is the moment for the salt, normal or Kala Namak. If you use the second one, put a little more than the normal.
- In the same previous pan, put a little of oil until cover the bottom of the pan (trick!: if you are newbie, put a little more of oil to prevent it from sticking) and put the mixture of potatos and eggs. Low the fire to the minimum power and let it be done. You can cover the pan.
- When you think that the bottom is done, put a dish on the pan and flip the tortilla. Let it be done this side.
Flip it all the times you need until the tortilla is cooked.
Que aproveche! =)