Previously, we show you how to make the fantastic ‘cauliflowers‘, a different way to eat cauliflower. It is a delicious way to eat another kind of meatballs, but sometimes we need to feel at home. Everybody knows that the food is a way to transport our thoughts very very far, in distance or in time.
My mother never cooked meatballs like these. She usually cooked meatballs with cuttlefish and peas, a fantastic sea and mountain cuisine. But when I make the oat meatballs I always see my moth
er doing the same and telling me: don’t make them too much bigger! (I always make them too much big, but I love meatballs!).
There are a lot of ways to make no-meatballs: using textured soy, oat, legumes… We love this recipe because is very easy and very tasty. The texture of the oatball when you bite it is great! We love eat them with a good tomato sauce or just the meatballs with some rice. Or boiled in a soup! (if you add some pine nut at the dough is a very delicious and catalan tradition). There are a lot of recipes and the mostly of them are very good, but this that I will show you today is very very easy. Try and it make it!
As you guess, oat has to be without sugar. As usual, the quantity of the spices are completely subjective: do it at your way! With this recipe, I am just giving you an idea. In some supermarkets there are a mixture of spices for cook meat that maybe helps to give a tasty flavour to the oatballs. Improvise!
Shall we start? =)
- 2 cups of oat flakes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chopped parsley (fresh better, but dry is ok too).
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp whole weat flour
- whole wheat flour to coat
- Put the oat, cumin, cumin seeds and parsley in a bowl. Mix it.
- Mince garlic very small and add it.
- Boil the vegetable stock.
- Add slowly the vegetable stock to the oat mixture, try to make a humid dough. It is probably that it will be not necessary all the stock. All the oat has to be humid.
- Taste it and season it again if it is necessary.
- Add 2 tbsp of whole wheat flour and mix it.
- Put olive oil in a pan and heat it.
- Make little balls with the dough, coat in flour and fry them!
- When they are made, put them on an absorbent paper to remove all the oil possible.
- Serve with a good tomato sauce, rice or fried fries!