Winter is coming!
Here in Okinawa, temperatures have dropped. Just a little, this is the tropic. Do not think in snow! Our autumn is like your spring! But, although we eat legumes all the year, now you feel like much more. We are super fans of the legumes. Lentils is a must in our life, but a good meal with chickpeas and rice …. oh, my God! So today, we bring you to warm and delicious recipe.
The fast way of cook this recipe is with chickpeas canned. I recommend you the long way: soak dry chickpeas the previous night (or at least 8h), they are more tasty and more nutritious than the canned food.
We use the pressure cooker. At the beginning I was a little afraid with that, I remembered my grandma telling us how one day her pressure cooker exploted in her kitchen. But my father showed me how works and I have to say that is AMAZING. I have a super chickpeas stew in 20 minutes, or lentils in 8. Beans in 5! It changed my life! It is true that you have to be careful: lock well the pressure cooker, release the pressure before opened it … And if you have some doubts about how it is working, please do not risky: turn off the heat and release all the pressure. It is better start again than complain after!
Every pressure cooker are different but the cooking times are very similar. I cooked my chickpeas 15 minutes but sometimes, if I added too much water, when I open the pressure cooker there are too much broth. In this case, I turn on the heat and let the pressure cooker open until the stew has the density that I want.
In winter, in summer, a chickpea stew (or as we said in Spain: potaje) is always welcome.
shall we start? =)
- 300gr chickpeas
- 1 carrot
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cabbage
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp paprika
- olive oil
- The previous night, you put the chickpeas in soak in hot water (at least 8 hours f soaking).
- In a pot, put water to heat.
- Peel and dice the carrot and onion.
- Chop the red pepper and the cabbage. Grate the tomatoes.
- Heat some olive oil in the pressure cooker and fry gently the vegetables.
- Drain the chickpeas and add into the pressure cooker.
- Add hot water until cover them.
- Add the bay leaves, paprika and season it.
- Lock the pressure cooker in place and bring to high pressure over high heat. Cook 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat, and DO NOT OPEN until release the pressure.
- If the stew has a lot of liquid, simmer until the wished texture.
- To serve, add some cooked rice.